English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) 2023-2024
California Education Code
In accordance with California Education Code, section 52176(b), all schools with twenty-one or more English learner (EL) students not including Reclassified Fluent English Proficient (RFEP) students, are required to establish an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). Schools are required to form an ELAC at any time when the number of identified EL students reaches 21 or more. All parents with EL students attending the school where the ELAC is established are eligible and should be encouraged to participate in the ELAC.
Who Can Join?
Parents and legal guardians of English Learners shall constitute at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as their children represent of the student body. California Education Code, Sections 35147, 52176(b) and (c), 62002.5, and 64001 (a). Other members may include from any of the following groups: Parents and legal guardians from any of the following language classifications: Reclassified Fluent English Proficient (RFEP), Initial Fluent English Proficient (IFEP), and English Only (EO) - LAUSD employees from the school site - Secondary students (grades 6-12) - Community members Representatives from community-based organizations that are actively involved in the school
The main duties of the SSC are to:
- Contribute to the development of the SPSA. The SPSA for ELs is developed with the review, certification, and advice of the ELAC (Ed Code Section 64001[c]) and submitted to the SSC for inclusion in the SPSA.
- Assist in developing the school wide needs assessment that will identify and address EL students' linguistic, attendance, and academic needs.
- Assist with ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance by reviewing the school’s studen attendance data and the District’s student attendance policy.
- Include information related to the review of the school’s SPSA and the District’s Master Plan for English Learners and Standard English Learners during regular meeting agendas.
- Provide written advice to the SSC regarding programs and services for EL students.